Update 02/02/18: Refurbished Apple TV 4K units are now available for sale, for $30 less than the original price.
Looking for a way to save some money on the latest Apple products? Consider a refurbished MacBook, refurbished iPhone, or refurbished iPad from the Apple Certified Refurbished store. A refurbished product is just like a new, but at a lower price. Apple just added the 10.5-inch iPad Pro to its refurbished store, so if you’re in the market for one, you can save a tidy sum.
Here’s a quick guide with links to the best deals you can find on the refurb store, along with a FAQ guide if you want to know more about the ins and outs of the Apple Certified Refurbished store and buying a refurbished MacBook, iPhone, or iPad.
Refurbished iPhone: The best deals
As of this writing, the store only has the 32GB iPhone 6s Plus available—it costs $469, which is $80 lower than a new iPhone 6s Plus that Apple still sells. The 6s may be two years old, but it’s still a very good phone, and it’s at an attractive price.
Which iPhone should you buy? Since there’s only one model available in the refurb store, our choice comes down to style and personal taste. We’re partial to the Rose Gold Refurbished iPhone 6s Plus 32GB. Apple doesn’t sell the iPhone 8 in Rose Gold, so it may be the end for that particular color. (The iPhone 7 Plus is available in Rose Gold and is more current than the iPhone 6s Plus, but it’s not available in the refurb store as of this writing.)
Other refurbished iPhones to consider
Refurbished 13-inch MacBook Pro: The best deals
Apple has several current MacBook Pro models, which were released in June 2017. There are a few 2015 and 2016 models here, as well as customized built-to-order models. We’ll focus on 2017 standard configurations.
Which 13-inch MacBook Pro should you buy? We like the 2017 Space Gray Refurbished 13.3-inch MacBook Pro 3.1GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 with Retina display with a 512GB SSD for $1,699. It’s $300 less that its comparable brand-new version. This is the high-end 13-inch MacBook Pro, and we think the larger 512GB SSD is worth the money.
Other refurbished 13-inch MacBook Pros to consider
- 2017 Silver and Space Gray Refurbished 13.3-inch MacBook Pro 3.1GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 with Retina display and 256GB SSD, each for $1,529. This is $270 less than the comparable brand-new model in either silver or space gray.
- If you don’t care about the Touch Bar, you can get a 2017 Silver or Space Gray Refurbished 13.3-inch MacBook Pro 2.3GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 with Retina display laptop for $1,099. This is $200 lower than the brand-new version.
- If you don’t mind an older machine, Apple also offers deals on the 2016 13-inch MacBook Pro, like the model with a 2.9GHz dual-core Intel Core i5. It’s $1,519, which is $380 lower than the original price. It’s available in Silver or Space Gray.
Refurbished 15-inch MacBook Pro: The best deals
Apple offers refurbished 2015, 2016, and 2017 15-inch MacBook Pros. We think the better deals are with the 2017 models, so we’ll concentrate on those.
Which 15-inch MacBook Pro should you buy? The 2017 Refurbished 15.4-inch MacBook Pro 2.9GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7 with Retina display laptop is available in Silver or Space Gray for $2,379. This is $420 less than the comparable brand-new model. We like this laptop because of the 512GB SSD.
Other refurbished 15-inch MacBook Pros to consider
- 2017 Refurbished 15.4-inch MacBook Pro 2.8GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7 with Retina display in Silver or Space Gray for $2,039. This is $360 less than the comparable brand-new model.
- A lot of Apple’s 15-inch MacBook Pro refurbs are from 2016, like the 15.4-inch 2.6GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, available in silver or space gray. It’s $450 lower than the original price.
Refurbished MacBook: The best deals
You’ll find a few 2017 models, but most are older MacBooks.
Which 15-inch MacBook Pro should you buy? We like the 2017 1.3GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 MacBook, available in gold, silver, or space gray for $1,359. This is $240 less than the comparable brand-new model. It offers a nice speed boost over the lower-end MacBook, and it also has 512GB of SSD storage instead of 256GB.
Other refurbished MacBooks to consider
- 2017 1.2GHz dual-core Intel Core m3 model available in gold, silver, and space gray for $1,099. This is $200 less than the comparable brand-new model.
- Apple has several 2016 MacBook models in the Apple Certified Refurbished store. If you’re fine with a laptop that’s a little older, you can get the 1.1GHz Dual-core Intel Core m3 MacBook in gold, rose gold, silver, space gray for $949. That’s $250 off the original price. If you’re looking for a laptop under a grand, this is a good option.
Refurbished MacBook Air: The best deals
The refurb store sells only 13-inch models from 2017, which have a 1.8GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor.
Other refurbished MacBook Airs to consider
Refurbished iPad: The best deals
The refurb store can be a good place to save some money on an iPad, if you don’t mind an older model. As of this writing, there are no refurbished 2017 iPads; you might actually find better deals on brand-new iPads from Best Buy and other non-Apple retailers.
Other refurbished iPads to consider
- 2015 Refurbished 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi 128GB available in gold, silver, space gray. It’s two years old, but it’s $659, which is $120 lower than the original price.
- 2016 Refurbished 9.7-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi 32GB in either Silver or Space Gray. $469, which is $80 lower than the original price. Apple no longer makes the 9.7-inch iPad Pro, so this may be the only place to buy one, other than eBay.
Refurbished Apple Watch: The best deals
At the moment, the refurb store only has the 2016 Series 2 Apple Watch. Refurbished Series 3 Apple Watches are not available, and while there are listings for Series 1, the listings say that they’re out of stock.
Refurbished 21.5-inch iMac: The best deals
The refurb store has only 2015 21.5-inch iMacs, which are good Macs to consider if you’re willing to sacrifice a little bit of performance to save some money.
Refurbished 27-inch iMac: The best deals
The refurb inventory of the 27-inch iMac is filled with 2015 models, but there are a few 2017 machines. Act quickly.
Which 27-inch iMac should you buy? The 2017 Refurbished 27-inch iMac 3.4GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 with Retina 5K display is a really good deal at $1,529. You’ll save $270 off the price of a brand-new version.
Other refurbished 27-inch iMacs to consider
Refurbished Mac mini: The best deals
Getting a refurbished Mac mini can be a really good deal. Apple hasn’t updated the Mac mini since 2014, and you’ll find an entry-level Refurbished Mac Mini 1.4GHz Dual-core Intel Core i5 for $419, which saves you $80 from the price of a brand-new entry-level Mac mini.
Refurbished Mac Pro: The best deals
The Mac Pro hasn’t changed much since its release in 2013. Apple refreshed the line last April, but all it did was increase the number of cores used in each model. The lack of drastic changes means you can get a good deal on a refurbished model.
Refurbished Apple TV: The best deals
Apple currently has only the 4th generation Apple TV. You can get a Refurbished Apple TV (4th generation) 32GB for $129, which is $20 lower than the original price.